Monday, March 07, 2005

IEPs

That's what I spent a good chunk of today doing -- reading IEPs. That was only fitting, since my cooperating teacher spent all day writing IEPs (for next year). First I went on an extensive tour of the school. Then I read some IEPs. Then lunch, then more IEPs. Then got my email/internet access passwords set up. Finally, chatted a little with my coop. teacher about the students.

In some ways I feel like I didn't do a lot, but I got to know a little about the students I'll be teaching. There's a huge range, from working right on grade level to 12-year-olds working at a K-2 level (fortunately not in the same class, though there are some kids much closer to grade level in the same class as the K-2 level group). The teacher says they're all really good kids, though -- each with their struggles and usual adolescent antics, but overall good kids.

Ironically, the 2 8th grade classes will likely be as close to my old 8th grade classes as I could expect -- pretty much on grade-level, on the academic track. One of those two classes consists of 3 boys -- that's it. Should be interesting.

I'll be working with two different aides -- one is a 1-to-1 aide for a specific student, and another is a class aide. Never had the opportunity to work with aides before, so this will be a nice new experience.

Good news, Mom! My coop. teacher is into standards-based math! She's into various methods for multiplying, and even noted that she wished the high school math teacher upstairs would use arrays/area models for multiplying algebraic expressions. She can't wait for her turn at textbook ordering to roll around. I may get to do something with the hot-cubes/cold-cubes model for operations on positive/negative numbers.

This looks like it's going to be a good experience. Tomorrow I get to see the 9th grade class (3 students), both "modified" classes (distinctly below grade level, 5 or 6 students each), and the 8th grade class with all boys (3 students). Plus, they have an "advisement" period every day, but it's just for 30 minutes, and it's essentially homework or reading time.

More updates to come once I actually meet the students and see how the class runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment