Friday, March 11, 2005

First Week, FINISH

There wasn't much to say yesterday. Two out of four blocks, our kids were in the auditorium for a special Drug Awareness presentation. My coop. teacher and I went to help supervise in the afternoon -- it was interesting, but got a bit convoluted and off the point. It'll be interesting to ask the kids next week what they got from it. Of the two remaining blocks, one was prep, and the other was the struggling kids. She taught them about pi and had them start working on a color-coded "pi-chain" for Pi Day on Monday-- we're trying to make a longer one than the high school. It was fun helping them with that.

Today was a professional development workshop day. Very interesting and enlightening in most respects, but I was very tired because the cats woke me up half an hour early this morning.

I've also planned out exactly when I'm taking over each of the classes. Plus, in the great teaching tradition, I'm stealing an idea from a former colleague (specifically Tisha). Next week the 8th graders are going to learn how to play Review Baseball. Now I just have to hope I can get it all together all right since I've never done it before myself. This also means I need to go through all the sample questions I've got and split them into four difficulty levels. I should have plenty of time to do all that, though... I'm not starting it with them until Wednesday.

I'm getting along well with the other teachers, especially the core middle school teachers who are right near us. My coop. teacher and I seem to be kindred spirits, so this should be a really good experience.

1 week down, 9 to go ...

No comments:

Post a Comment