Monday, March 14, 2005

Happy Pi Day!

Today was fun, but I may never have the desire to make a construction paper chain again. Assigning a color to each digit, we made a chain representing the first 200 or so digits of pi -- it's now strung along the hallway of the middle school, almost coming full circle. The good news is, ours is longer than the high school's, but both sides are going to work on it for one more day, and we'll see where we are then.

Also, I had my first day teaching a class. Just reviewing with the 8th graders, and I didn't stink up the place too badly. There's a pace issue, because one of the girls is always going to take a lot longer than the others, so I need to figure out something so they'll all have something to do at all times. Another interesting thing is trying to decide whether a student's lack of understanding is because of a communication breakdown on my part or a mathematical breakdown on their part. Hopefully as I get more confident/comfortable in my signing and as I get to know the students better, it'll be easier to know which is the case.

I know all my students' names -- now if I could just keep all the name-signs straight...

I have my first homework assignments to grade! A whopping FIVE of them... it's definitely a give-and-take, though -- way less time grading, way more time prepping.

Should be a good week. We'll see how baseball goes on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment