Thursday, April 20, 2006

Just Keeps Getting Better...

New Mexico, baby!!!

That's right -- NMSD called yesterday and offered me a job. Probably high school math, but maybe middle school (the director of instruction said she was pretty sure it'd be high school, but either way's okay by me).

So ... Why This Is Looking So Good:
  • Santa Fe climate -- July: 86/54 January: 43/15 Average Days of Sunshine: 300 All-Time Highest Temp: 99 degrees
  • NMSD is home to CAEBER: Center for ASL/Bilingual Education and Research -- I get paid a stipend to learn things that'll make me a better teacher for deaf kids
  • NMSD has oodles of technology (SMARTboards, graphing calculators...)
  • New Mexico state math standards are highly correlated to the NCTM Standards (I've already started looking them over)
  • I'll get paid a few (or several) thousand dollars more than I would here or in Utah
  • If I move up to Level III-A, my minimum salary moves up to $50,000 (zowie!) and I'm already part-way there by getting a Master's degree
  • Rent (and general cost of living) is less than Rochester and only slightly higher than Utah
  • Drive time from Santa Fe to Orem: 12 hours (that's by-the-book, mind you, assuming an average of 49 mph) -- this means Thanksgiving at home for the first time in three years!
  • Having a school year more like Utah's -- no more going til the end of June
The downside? Just leaving behind lots of awesome people here in the Roch (and in the East in general) ... but that's what email, telephones, IM, and this blog are all made for, people!

Now I just have to worry about things like picking an apartment... :-P

1 comment:

  1. I forgot something for the list -- this is also a really good excuse to finally learn Spanish! :-D

    Posted by MathPro411

    ReplyDelete