Monday, February 28, 2005

The Beginning

Since this is accessible to pretty much anyone, I'll start off by trying to make sense to anyone who stumbles across it.

My display name -- mathpro411 ... I really don't consider myself entirely "pro" at math. There are plenty of people out there who know a lot more than I do. Except maybe first-year algebra... after 3 years teaching that at a junior high, maybe I'm starting to be a little pro at that. My former students are the main people who would consider me a "pro" or a "guru".

My bachelor's degree is in Mathematics Education, and now I'm working on a Master's in secondary education of deaf students with a focus on math. One week from today, I start student teaching at a school for the deaf. How strange will that be, being a student teacher after being an actual teacher for three years? I didn't even student teach my first time around; instead, I interned a full year on my own with a mentor and supervisor that came to observe once a week. Plus, I'll be teaching six classes, ranging from 5th to 9th grade, using ASL. It's going to be different, but I'm excited.

Speaking of exciting, it looks like I'll be doing some interesting work as a research assistant this summer, with projects focusing on "best practices" of teaching math and science to deaf students. There's going to be a wide variety of projects, and the professor I'll be assisting is amazing, so this is definitely something to look forward to.

Along the way, hopefully I'll learn a little more about web design and development. I'd like to rework the design template for this thing, but it's a little beyond my current skills. My sister, brother, and sister-in-law are the ones that know all sorts of things on that topic -- I just ramble about math pedagogy and deaf issues. I'll just need to sit down and fiddle with it in Dreamweaver sometime.

No time for that right now, though. Now it's time to whip up that field experience portfolio so I can turn it in before Thursday. What educational issue should I write my phony "letter to the editor" about?

No comments:

Post a Comment