Sunday, May 15, 2005

Student Teaching 1, FINISH

The last few days were great. They had a party for me on Friday, where the kids surprised me with cards they'd made, and my cooperating teacher gave me a nice frame with a photo she'd taken of me and a student on one side, and several overlapping hands showing the "I-LOVE-YOU" sign on the other side.

Reflecting back, a few things are now clear. I could be just as happy teaching in a school for the deaf as teaching hearing kids. My sign skills are sufficient enough that I could connect with many of the kids in a meaningful way, but there's still a lot of improvement I could make. Based on the experiences of my friend and what I know of the job description, I know that there's no way I ever want to be an itinerant teacher of the deaf. (Fine for some people, but it's not for me.)

Since my classes fall quarter are all going to be from 4 to 8 pm, I've decided to put myself on the substitute list for the school I was student teaching at. The kids would be excited to see me again, and the math (and maybe science) teachers would be excited to have a sub that could actually teach something in their content area.

Just in time for summer, I've got a new job at church (RS secretary). Between that and my job as a research assistant, I should be able to keep just busy enough until school starts up again.

The best news: I'll be home in FIVE DAYS!!! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment