Saturday, April 09, 2005

Fifth Week, FINISH

Halfway there! (Really more than that since week after next is Spring Break -- no school for a full week.)

Starting Monday, I'm in charge of all the classes. Not too big a deal, except that I'm finding the modified classes difficult to prepare for. Every course needs a backbone -- a textbook, core curriculum, something. The modified classes have the students' IEP goals, but they make for a very broad and less-than-sturdy backbone. Feels a little too much like flying by the seat of my pants. Really, I think I'd be okay working with courses like this, if I started with them from the beginning of the year. It's a difficult situation to jump into the middle of.

Other than that, the 8th graders have a quiz Monday/Tuesday, the 6th graders have a test Wednesday, and the 9th graders are starting on inequalities. Two of the three ninth graders really aren't as solid as I'd like when it comes to solving equations, so I'll need to re-emphasize the whole "inverse operations" idea when working with inequalities.

That's what I need to work on preparing today, plus a week-long unit on measurement for both modified classes. We're going to have to start simple -- "Here's a line, here's a ruler, here's how you measure to the nearest inch/half-inch." Several of them are still so clueless about fractions that measuring more precisely in inches will be a big leap. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment