Thursday, December 14, 2006

Too long ... much too long

I've got to get back into the habit of posting stuff...

I'm just about halfway through my first school year here. Things are still going well. My students are great, and I have a lot of fun teaching them. Having five very different classes to teach wears me out a little, but it's also really interesting and keeps me on my toes. Teaching Pre-Calculus gives my brain the kind of exercise it needs to avoid Alzheimer's later in life, I think. ;-)

Funny thing ... People are always saying to me, "It must be so different teaching deaf kids," or, "So how do you teach math to deaf kids? Isn't it hard?" It still floors me every time. It's not that different. Teenagers are teenagers, whether they can hear or not. Just like in any group, there's a lot of variety in personalities, but that just makes it interesting. Since I know the language, teaching them math isn't so different from teaching it in English. True, quite a few students struggle with English ... but I've taught ESL kids and struggling readers before. It's not like I have to re-invent math just to teach it to deaf students.

As with any school, though, things aren't perfect. We're a little off-balance with academics vs. athletics. Anyone who wants to claim I don't support athletics can stop right there! The kids know I come to every home game I can manage, and I totally support them. It's just the sheer volume of time they're taken out of my class, particularly due to sports (although there are other things as well).

Consider that most of my students are behind grade-level, to varying degrees. That means my goal is to help them close the gap. To do that, they have to make over one year's worth of progress in a school year. But how do we do that when in some cases, students will miss my class at least 30 times in the year? Get it?

Fortunately, some dialogue has begun about that, so hopefully we can make some steps to find more balance.

Something else hit me really hard today, though. I had to interpret between a student and some members of his family. That just stinks. Not that I had to interpret -- I'm happy to bridge communication barriers where appropriate -- but that I had to interpret. I can easily see reasons these particular people aren't fluent signers yet, but I hated the realization that I can have much more meaningful conversations with that student than his family can.

Someone needs to use all this high-speed internet, web-cam/video-conferencing technology to set up really high-quality ASL classes for family members of deaf children. Somehow we have to get around the "time" and "money" constraints that seem to get in so many people's way.

Well, just another week, then two blissful weeks at home (and hopefully this time I can force myself to do some lesson planning ... once I get started, I actually enjoy planning different activities and approaches ... it's just the "getting started" part that gets in my way). :-P

Meanwhile, here's another picture of Melanie, the Plucky Ducky in her Halloween costume:


Definitely a cutie! :-D I can't believe she's almost 6 months old already.

Hopefully more to come soon ... if I manage to remember that I have a blog ... and if I get some indication that anyone's actually reading it.... ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading!!!!!! *waving* Just wandered onto your blog and thought I'd say hi!

    ReplyDelete